Shaping Innovation Leaders Program
The Premiere Executive Management Course Designed Exclusively for Technology Leaders
Managers in today’s competitive R&D marketplace rely on enhanced business skills to improve their company’s competitive edge. The Industrial Research Institute (IRI), in partnership with the Kellogg School of Management, specifically designed Shaping Innovation Leaders to meet the needs of demanding leadership roles in promising, mid-level managers in research, development and engineering. The program’s curriculum is designed by Kellogg, in cooperation with senior R&D executives of IRI Member Organizations.
Participants gain the skills, concepts, language, and tools they need to make more effective strategic decisions.
- address the challenges of leadership and motivate and lead others
- gain knowledge of general management through insights into marketing, finance, accounting, organization behavior and operations functions
- develop their ability to analyze, formulate, and implement strategies
- learn techniques for communicating with executives in other divisions
- grasp the latest thinking and management tools used in the business environment
- gain fresh perspectives for competing in a global marketplace
- gather priceless knowledge gleaned from networking with industry peers
Learn these essentials to successfully understand the business side of technology:
- Evaluating Performance & Earning Quality
- Strategy and Strategic Thinking
- Evaluation of Investment Programs
- Financial Strategy & Cost of Capital
- Strategic Investments
- Financial Reports
- Marketing in New & Established Markets
- Law for Technical Managers
- Voice of the Customer
- Negotiations: Strategies & Pitfalls
- Building Social Capital
- Strategic Alliances
- Market Segmentation, Targeting, & Positioning
Participants are seasoned, successful managers of their firm’s technological innovation efforts and are the future leaders of industrial research and development. The common characteristic of all participants is that they have reached a level that demands close interaction with executives from a cross-section of vital functions.
A typical participant:
- holds at least one graduate degree, usually a Ph.D.
- has approximately 15 years post-BS experience
- has substantial managerial experience with a number of direct reports
- effectively manages a laboratory or department, its personnel and budget
Hours & Program Fee
The program begins Saturday around 1:00 pm and concludes the following Friday by 3:00 pm. Several weeks prior to the program, accepted applicants will be mailed both pre-program study materials and logistical instructions concerning the facilities, travel directions, message systems, etc.
The program fee covers tuition and materials, a single guest room for the week, and group meals, breaks and receptions. Participants are responsible for obtaining transportation to and from the course. Send two, three or more individuals and save hundreds of dollars from each registration fee. Contact IRI for information on how to register multiple individuals.
"The Shaping Innovation Leaders course is part of technology leadership development at Air Products. We continue to send our emerging top technology leaders to this outstanding course each and every year. Our participants concur that the course provides new learning that they immediately apply in their jobs. They rate the interactive experience with engaging professors and with other attendees from many industries as one of the highest value courses they have ever attended." - Dr. Martha Collins, Director, Global Technology Centers, Air Products
"IRI’s Shaping Innovation Leaders course is extremely well suited for enhancing strategic decision-making skills of scientists and engineers, something critical to the success of FM Global and our clients. The intensive course developed leadership skills that many only acquire by completing an MBA degree and/or through extensive experience. In addition to the academic aspects, the course allowed for interacting with peers from top tier companies from around the world." - Dr. Christopher J. Wieczorek, Group Manager - Fire Protection, FM Global