- Saturday June 01, 2019 1:00pm – Friday June 07, 2019 3:00pm
- Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
The Premier Executive Management Course Designed Exclusively for Technology Leaders
Managers in today’s competitive R&D marketplace rely on enhanced business skills to improve their company’s competitive edge. IRI, in partnership with the Kellogg School of Management, specifically designed Shaping Innovation Leaders to meet the needs of demanding leadership roles in promising, mid-level managers in research, development and engineering. The program’s curriculum is designed by Kellogg, in cooperation with senior R&D executives of IRI Member Organizations.
Participants gain the skills, concepts, language, and tools they need to make more effective strategic decisions.
- address the challenges of leadership and motivate and lead others
- gain knowledge of general management through insights into marketing, finance, accounting, organization behavior and operations functions
- develop their ability to analyze, formulate, and implement strategies
- learn techniques for communicating with executives in other divisions
- grasp the latest thinking and management tools used in the business environment
- gain fresh perspectives for competing in a global marketplace
- gather priceless knowledge gleaned from networking with industry peers
Online Registration for 2019 course will open in January 2019.
Course fees: IRI Members $11,000 | Non-Member Individuals $12,500 | Course fees increase after March 1, 2019
The IRI and Kellogg Experience
The Shaping Innovation Leaders course is held at the James L. Allen Center, at the heart of Northwestern's Evanston campus overlooking Lake Michigan. Because learning should not be confined to the classroom, the Allen Center is designed to facilitate peer learning and informal interactions among faculty and participants. The center contains classrooms, study rooms, bedrooms (each with private bath), dining rooms, lounges, and recreational facilities. This quiet campus environment is within close proximity of downtown Chicago and O'Hare International Airport. The program fee covers tuition and materials, a single guest room at the Allen Center and group meals for the duration of the program. The program begins Saturday around 1:00 pm and concludes the following Friday by 3:00 pm. Learn more about the Kellogg Experience.
Learn these essentials to successfully understand the business side of technology:
- Evaluating Performance & Earning Quality
- Strategy and Strategic Thinking
- Evaluation of Investment Programs
- Financial Strategy & Cost of Capital
- Strategic Investments
- Financial Reports
- Marketing in New & Established Markets
- Law for Technical Managers
- Voice of the Customer
- Negotiations: Strategies & Pitfalls
- Building Social Capital
- Strategic Alliances
- Market Segmentation, Targeting, & Positioning
Participants are seasoned, successful managers of their firm’s technological innovation efforts and are the future leaders of industrial research and development. The common characteristic of all participants is that they have reached a level that demands close interaction with executives from a cross-section of vital functions.
A typical participant:
- holds at least one graduate degree, usually a Ph.D.
- has approximately 15 years post-BS experience
- has substantial managerial experience with a number of direct reports
- effectively manages a laboratory or department, its personnel and budget
"This course is very valuable…. [it] gives you something that is key, which is the ability to talk to the rest of the business. That is a key element of success, and it’s not my success I’m talking about. I can make my team successful. Our innovation centers in different parts of the world become embedded in the business, are well aligned, and we are seen as a team player. If you have identified a high talent candidate, take the bet, place the bet, and have them take the course early for a high payout." - Dr. Alex Foessel, Director, Customer Support and Technology Innovation Center, Latin America, Deere & Co
"IRI’s Shaping Innovation Leaders course is extremely well suited for enhancing strategic decision-making skills of scientists and engineers, something critical to the success of FM Global and our clients. The intensive course developed leadership skills that many only acquire by completing an MBA degree and/or through extensive experience. In addition to the academic aspects, the course allowed for interacting with peers from top tier companies from around the world." - Dr. Christopher J. Wieczorek, Group Manager - Fire Protection, FM Global
Richard I. Kolsky