Institutionalizing Innovation Competencies
ROR Stage: wrapping up
Premise: Breakthrough Innovation requires a distinctive management system, including innovation expertise.
• Beyond R&D, many responsibilities are required to successfully incubate and commercialize BI.
• Historically, people volunteer due to ‘intrinsic motivation’ or are assigned as a rotation on a leadership development path.
• Not in role long enough to be effective
• Penalized when projects fail
• Stalled on promotion path due to long incubation periods
• Absence of role clarity, career paths.
• At the Annual Meeting: Final results of a 3 year, 11 company, 180 interview study.
• Challenges described.
• Roles defined…participating and supporting.
• Careers tracked.
• Prescriptions for improvement offered.
Team Members: Ted Farrington, Pepsico; Bruce Kirk, Corning; Gina O’Connor, RPI (SME); Lois Peters, RPI (SME)