IRI is home to a worldwide network of cross-industry leaders interested in driving innovation and new growth -- representing small specialty companies, large global corporations, government labs, and everyone in between.
IRI has a 35 hour work week and excellent benefits. IRI is located near the Courthouse Metro station on the Orange line in Arlington, VA. Excellent accessibility from points in Maryland, DC and Virginia.
Research-Technology Management, the flagship journal of the Industrial Research Institute, needs freelance reporters to provide compelling, timely stories for its Perspectives department. Perspectives stories offer news and analysis on topics of interest to our readers – R&D and innovation managers and executives at Fortune 500 companies and other large R&D-focused organizations. Your work will be read by the people responsible for creating the products of tomorrow!
RTM is published every other month, and each edition of Perspectives includes 3–5 stories, each typically 1,000–1,500 words. Recent stories have covered the growing collaboration in scientific research between the EU and China, innovative models for STEM education, the mobile phone patent wars, and emerging intellectual property issues around biotechnology and the EU’s unitary patent court. Samples available on request.
We are particularly interested in journalists who can provide coverage of Asia and/or other emerging markets or who have demonstrated expertise covering intellectual property issues.
To apply, please provide a resume and 3–5 clips of recent work, along with a cover letter that includes 1 or 2 proposals for stories and your preferred rate. Apply by email only to Managing Editor MaryAnne M. Gobble at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full-Time Events and Executive Assistant.
NATURE OF POSITION: The mission of IRI is to enhance the effectiveness of technological innovation in the industry. This position provides assistance with IRI meetings and events, as well as offering administrative support to the President. This position reports to the Vice President, Events and Networks department and the President of IRI.
Events and Meetings
- Pre- and post-conference responsibilities that include but are not limited to; processing registration and payments, hotel confirmations, collecting speaker bios and abstracts, scheduling event promos with Communications Department, managing attendee and speaker inquiries and follow up;
- Develop and proofread content for event promos;
- Developing and managing event specs and working directly with hotel to ensure contract compliance;
- Managing committee, network, and speaker database both pre and post-meeting;
- Speaker and Awards Management and Logistics
- Compile various event and attendee reports as needed, including outreach lists;
- Assist VP of Events and Networks with researching potential speakers and attendees;
- Manage logistics of Awards Program, specifically confirming all board signatures are collected and on file, awards and certificates are ordered on time with correct recipient information, managing the travel details of awardees, and keeping the Awards Committee files up to date;
- Work closely with the VP of Events and Networks to brainstorm innovative conference formats and develop new engagement tools.
- Provide support to the President in scheduling conference calls, meetings, and handling mailings/correspondence;
- Main contact for IRI Board of Directors;
- Manage administrative and logistics arrangements for all board activities/events;
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of all board meeting material
- Serve as coordinator for executive meetings/events ;
- Manage administrative functions, logistics, and mailings pertaining to executive meetings including Executive and Board Committees as well as senior Forums;
- Maintain Database of senior-level members and participants;
- Coordinate executive/Board and senior members’ travel at Board meetings and senior forums;
- Primary point of contact for hotels and vendors.
REQUIRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
- 2+ years of work experience in an association or other customer service/business environment;
- Capable of handling multiple tasks simultaneously, working independently, and critical thinking;
- Conference and event planning experience strongly preferred;
- Experience in a customer service environment and a customer-focused mindset;
- Strong internet research skills and the ability to think outside the box;
- Excellent organizational skills with a high level of detail orientation;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work as a team member in a diverse environment; and
- Proficient computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database tools, as well as knowledge of Web-enabled services and computing systems. Knowledge of iMIS is preferable.
COMPENSATION AND HOW TO APPLY
- Excellent Benefits
- Salary $40K
- Qualified applicants should submit a resume to Erica Singleton, Director of Human Resources & Operations, email@example.com