In 2021, IRI’s flagship research program, Research on Research (ROR), turns 50. To commemorate 50 years of outstanding research in the field of innovation management, we will be featuring groundbreaking content from ROR each week in our member updates.
Watch the pitch videos from our current projects:
When IRI members have complex challenges, PILOT swoops in!
The PILOT Team will help you:
- Connect with other members facing the same challenge.
- Select and deploy the right tools to dive into that challenge.
- Create deliverables to share with your team.
How it works:
- IRI connects you with other members in the same boat, forming a working group.
- IRI guides you through the research process, organizing and advising, while members of the working group provide intellectual input.
- The working group creates a deliverable to share with their teams and the rest of the IRI membership.
In the pipeline:
|Benchmarking surveys||Suggest a topic.|
|IRI archives deep dives||Suggest a theme.|
|Roundtable discussions||Suggest a topic.|
|Challenge:||How can we learn from failure?|
|How we addressed it:||
Literature review, thought leader interviews, roundtable discussions, case studies
|Deliverables:||RTM article, video report out|
|Challenge:||How can we better recruit and retain early career technical talent?|
|How we addressed it:||
Literature scan, survey of early career professionals, case studies
Early and later career professionals mostly want similar things; the biggest differences with early career technical talent are a desire for:
|Challenge:||How can we improve how our virtual teams function?|
|How we addressed it:||Review of 2014 study, roundtable discussions to update findings|
Pilot Steering Committee
This committee supports all PILOT activities, including working groups, from inception through dissemination. Committee members work collaboratively to experiment in processes and methods to identify best practices; provide means for idea generation to keep the pipeline full and relevant; and actively investigate mechanisms for timely, accessible and actionable deliverables.
- Kent Young, Senior Director of Technology, Sherwin-Williams (chair)
- Marina Despotopoulou, R&D Director, Arkema
- Sam Immordino, Director, Building Science, USG
- Keith Keller, R&D Manager, Milliken
- Stewart Mehlman, Director, SKM Direction, IRI Emeritus
- Joel Schall, Director, Technology and Innovation, Henkel
- Jim Wilkinson, Managing Director, Platform Engineering, Applied Materials
- Marcie Zaharee, Project Leader MITRE Innnovation Program, MITRE
A Research-on-Research (ROR) Subcommittee was appointed by the IRI Board of Directors in 1968, following an unsuccessful effort to convince the National Science Foundation (NSF) to establish centers for research-on-research at universities in the United States. The subcommittee concluded that research-on-research was important enough to the interests of the Institute that the idea should be initiated without the support of NSF. Thus, a regular standing committee of IRI was created in 1971 to carry out research on the process of research in industry.
ROR was rolled into PILOT in January 2018 in tandem with the association’s rebranding to Innovation Research Interchange.