When IRI members have complex challenges, PILOT swoops in!
The PILOT Team will help you:
- Connect with other members facing the same challenge.
- Select and deploy the right tools to dive into the challenge.
- Create deliverables to share with your team.
How it works:
- IRI connects you with other members in the same boat, forming a working group.
- IRI guides you through the research process, organizing and advising, while members of the working group provide intellectual input.
- The working group creates a deliverable to share with their teams and the rest of the IRI membership.
|Brilliant Failures||Sign up to receive updates|
|Growth Outside the Core||Sign up to receive updates|
|Innovation Governance||Sign up to receive updates|
In the pipeline:
|Benchmarking survey||PILOT will conduct two benchmarking surveys in 2019. Suggest a topic.|
|IRI archives deep dive||PILOT will be auditing our past projects to update the research and create learning modules on key recurring themes. Suggest a theme.|
|Roundtable discussion||PILOT will host at least one focused roundtable discussion on a hot button issue for members. Suggest a topic.|
|Challenge:||How can we better recruit and retain early career technical talent?|
|How we addressed it:||
Literature scan, survey of early career professionals, case studies
Early and later career professionals mostly want similar things; the biggest differences with early career technical talent are a desire for:
|Challenge:||What metrics should we use for our innovation dashboards?|
|How we addressed it:||
Virtual roundtable discussions, member survey
|Deliverables:||Report (slide deck), webinar|
|Challenge:||What is Big Data and how is it going to impact how we do R&D?|
|How we addressed it:||Literature review, thought leader interviews, case studies|
Big Data Primer, RTM Article on Big Data and R&D Management (including maturity matrix), Research Note: Big Data and R&D Management, Digitalization and R&D: Big Data blog, Digitalization and R&D: Big Data Report Out (video)
Big Data, or ‘uncomfortable data’ as the group dubbed it, will impact R&D management through changes in how R&D is informed, enabled, and disrupted or transformed. They created a maturity matrix looking at how strategy, people, technology, and process integration would all be impacted in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, food and beverage, high tech, energy, chemicals, health care and pharmaceuticals, and government.
Pilot Steering Committee
This committee supports all PILOT activities, including working groups, from inception through dissemination. Committee members work collaboratively to experiment in processes and methods to identify best practices; provide means for idea generation to keep the pipeline full and relevant; and actively investigate mechanisms for timely, accessible and actionable deliverables.
- Mike Blackburn (Chair), Research & Development Portfolio/Program Leader, Cargill
- Steve Moskowitz, Strategic Innovation Manager, Entegris
- Kent Young, Senior Director of Technology, Sherwin-Williams
- Norman Golm, Director of Innovation, Regal Beloit Corporation
- Pushpa Manukonda, Director, John Deere Technology Innovation Center, John Deere
- Marcie Zaharee, Project Leader MITRE Innnovation Program, MITRE
- Joel Schall, Director Technology and Innovation, Henkel
- Preeti Chandra, Associate Director, Praxair R&D
A Research-on-Research (ROR) Subcommittee was appointed by the IRI Board of Directors in 1968, following an unsuccessful effort to convince the National Science Foundation (NSF) to establish centers for research-on-research at universities in the United States. The subcommittee concluded that research-on-research was important enough to the interests of the Institute that the idea should be initiated without the support of NSF. Thus, a regular standing committee of IRI was created in 1971 to carry out research on the process of research in industry.
ROR was rolled into PILOT in January 2018 in tandem with the association’s rebranding to Innovation Research Interchange.